Wargame Rules

BLOG BACKGROUND AND WARGAME RULES
I have set up this blog for my wargaming interests in the Muscovite-Tartar Wars, Reconquista Wars, the Barbary Coast Pirates, and the early campaigns of the Ottoman Turks and Saracens. Some lesser known crusades will also be covered. Miniatures are mainly 28mm with a growing collection in 54mm. If my photographs serve to encourage others to complete their collections I shall be pleased. I will also be mentioning other sites with interesting collections on the above. Do join the 'Friends' if you like what you see.

I prefer to use my own rules which are kept simple and involve eight-sided dice. These allow for fast results with various types of weaponry. Morale dominates my games.


Friday 2 November 2018

The Ebay Horse Archers are Prepared

Work on completing the recent Ebay purchase has started well due to the very little flash on these Essex figures. Most had no flash whatsoever and only faint mould lines. Unfortunately, the painted horses did have some tough resin-like glue on their bases and also where the saddle would have been affixed. Removing this stuff led to some bare metal and I was obliged to spray prime these areas, but these horses are now looking good. Not bad for a single day's work. Looking through the horses, I can now assess which looks best with what figures. And I can also see how these castings will form new units, or be drafted into others. The Cuman helmeted figures came with a sock holding two throwing spears, I won't need these weapons for my planned Lesser Boyars (sixteen strong) but nor will I put them in the melting pot as they will be easy to convert into useful quivers. The Pechenegs will become Cossack horse archers (mustering twelve) and the Ebay purchase included enough step ponies for this unit. The remaining eleven figures have all found homes in some of my established cavalry formations, being able to draw on spare horses already painted and based. MGB
As a footnote, I spotted these two lead 54mm medieval knights in a charity shop toy bin, costing only 40p each. I believe they date back to the 1950s or even earlier. Would like to find out more about these figures before any decisions on whether to restore them, its a project for the future. MGB

2 comments:

  1. Nice progress on your eBay bargains!
    My best buy was an Essex ECW army for£16!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iain, that sounds like a very good buy. I like Essex figures, although some of the new, replacement moulds, ancient Arabs for example, have reverted to a smaller, less detailed casting. Bet yours are the originals, good design. I do smile when I see some figures for sale on Ebay which cost more than the same figures from the home company. Have now completed all the horses, and the primary colours on the archers.
      Cheers, Michael

      Delete