Wargame Rules

BLOG BACKGROUND AND WARGAME RULES
I have set up this blog for my wargaming interests in the Muscovite-Tartar Wars, Reconquista Wars, the Barbary Coast Pirates, and the early campaigns of the Ottoman Turks and Saracens. Some lesser known crusades will also be covered. Miniatures are mainly 28mm with a growing collection in 54mm. If my photographs serve to encourage others to complete their collections I shall be pleased. I will also be mentioning other sites with interesting collections on the above. Do join the 'Friends' if you like what you see.

I prefer to use my own rules which are kept simple and involve eight-sided dice. These allow for fast results with various types of weaponry. Morale dominates my games.


Wednesday 27 February 2019

54MM ARCHERS, Forming Up (Part Six)

This was a real pleasure to simply tidy up the original paintwork, and add some paint to the quivers and arrows, a more authentic colour for the shoes, waistbelts and scabbards, and some facial detail. Easily done, this work added so much to the Herald 54mm figures. The first unit are Milanese, but will also serve as English in other theatres. The second group, in yellow, will be attached to the Emperor's Ghibelline army. Only one bow was missing in these acquisitions and it was no great problem to drill the hand to accept some thick wire in its place, and I allowed myself a more authentic colour bow. Commanding the Milanese is a Britains Deetail knight, they do look the part as high ranking personnel. This collection is principally a restoration project, with occasional upgrading. MGB

4 comments:

  1. That's a lovely looking knight, I will have to look out for him, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Deetail Range is great for providing personalities in a Medieval army, but I do still prefer the Herald Range for the retinues. I picked up two of these figures, sent one to my relative, and repainted this one as an English commander for the Longbowmen.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. I had these arches as a boy and it is great to see that haven’t completely repainted them. I try to do a similar thing with old lead Britains,there is something satisfying about retaining the original paintwork. I have just discovered this blog and am really enjoying it.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, the Herald figures have survived fifty years, if the paintwork is still prominent, I'm happy to keep to their choice. The shields often arrive bare or with a ripped sticker, so I have enjoyed the liberty to paint something better. I would be surprised if you don't enjoy some of the future posts on their restoration. Thanks for your interest.
      Michael

      Delete