Wargame Rules

BLOG BACKGROUND AND WARGAME RULES
I have set up this blog for my wargaming interests in the Muscovite-Tartar Wars, Reconquista Wars, the Barbary Coast Pirates, and the early campaigns of the Ottoman Turks and Saracens. Some lesser known crusades will also be covered. Miniatures are mainly 28mm with a growing collection in 54mm. If my photographs serve to encourage others to complete their collections I shall be pleased. I will also be mentioning other sites with interesting collections on the above. Do join the 'Friends' if you like what you see.

I prefer to use my own rules which are kept simple and involve eight-sided dice. These allow for fast results with various types of weaponry. Morale dominates my games.


Sunday 24 February 2019

54MM MOUNTED KNIGHTS RESTORED (Part Five)

The Britains Herald Range of medieval knights comprises four mounted figures and two barded horses: the latter available in two cloak colours per horse.The original shields, as previously mentioned, were supplied with rather poor stuck-on transfers, which quickly fell off. Fortunately, the plain shields lend themselves perfectly for more authentic heraldry to be painted on, and varnished for protection. Concerning the lances, made of plastic, they can be best described as unimpressive. I decided to apply my own. I cut away the original hand guards, and drilled them to accept steel rods which I already use for standard bearers in my 28mm armies. Additional hand guards were supplied by halving the beads of a neckless which belonged to my late mother, and they work perfectly in this role. I should record, two horses arrived broken from their bases. A steel nail was internally drilled, and then supper glued to provide a very secure join. Here are a few photos of those ready for service. The first shows Ghibelline cavalry, and then some Guelph cavalry. The final photo shows the poor state of the plastic lances, no point saving them in my opinion. MGB

2 comments:

  1. I have a bunch of these same knights in need of some freshening up. Drilling out the handguards on the leftovers of the original lances is clever and will make this project go must faster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bunch of these same knights in need of some freshening up. Drilling out the handguards on the leftovers of the original lances is clever and will make this project go must faster!

    ReplyDelete