Wargame Rules

BLOG BACKGROUND AND WARGAME RULES
I have set up this blog for my wargaming interests in the Muscovite-Tartar Wars, Reconquista Wars, the Barbary Coast Pirates, and the early campaigns of the Ottoman Turks and Saracens. Some lesser known crusades will also be covered. Miniatures are mainly 28mm with a growing collection in 54mm. If my photographs serve to encourage others to complete their collections I shall be pleased. I will also be mentioning other sites with interesting collections on the above. Do join the 'Friends' if you like what you see.

I prefer to use my own rules which are kept simple and involve eight-sided dice. These allow for fast results with various types of weaponry. Morale dominates my games.


Monday 26 July 2021

PASSING OF A FRIEND, JOHN TUCKEY

Just heard from a friend of mine that John Tuckey recently passed away, aged 88. I think its appropriate for me to remember him here. I started wargaming with John in the late 1980s, and continued to do so during the following twenty years. Among a certain generation, particularly those organising shows, he was a well known character. As a wing-commander, retired, he was every bit a no-nonsense, forthright sort of bloke, and he wasn't acting the part. I liked him, and others have said that when he mentioned my name, it was positive. I will take that as a strong compliment. I suspect many visitors to shows all over England from 1980 to 2010 will have seen his historical refights, always involving thousands of 28mm figures, and in all periods of history. Recently spotted a photo in a Featherstone book with a Tuckey game featured. He later staged his own wargames show at Marston-Magna, Somerset, and I was pleased to put on a game at most if not all his shows. In his last few years he sold his collections and re-embraced model railways, but on occasions we did still speak. He was a powerful character, a British patriot, and I'm sad to know he is no longer with us. RIP John. Michael G. Butterfield

3 comments:

  1. Another wonderful wargamer has gone. I remember well John's many very large wargames packed with hundreds and hundreds of figures.Some lucky soul has been lucky to obtain John's wonderful figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robbie, he was a powerful character, and his wargames expressed his dedication/enthusiasm. He must have fought about eight games at my house or business. I don't think I'm out of order to mention his daughters would not have wished to store 20,000 castings. He knew this, and had cleared most of them with traders and collectors. He did keep his AWI/SYW collections and they have, rightly, gone to a mutual friend, that was providing some local help.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. You were lucky to have such a friend. My condolences.

    ReplyDelete