Wargame Rules

BLOG BACKGROUND AND WARGAME RULES
I have set up this blog for my wargaming interests in the Muscovite-Tartar Wars, Reconquista Wars, the Barbary Coast Pirates, and the early campaigns of the Ottoman Turks and Saracens. Some lesser known crusades will also be covered. Miniatures are mainly 28mm with a growing collection in 54mm. If my photographs serve to encourage others to complete their collections I shall be pleased. I will also be mentioning other sites with interesting collections on the above. Do join the 'Friends' if you like what you see.

I prefer to use my own rules which are kept simple and involve eight-sided dice. These allow for fast results with various types of weaponry. Morale dominates my games.


Wednesday 15 November 2017

Wallachians or Dismounted Boyars

Among the newly painted castings is this unit of Wallachian warriors armed with halberds. These can serve as allies or enemies of the Ottomans, but I think they can also represent dismounted Boyars in any siege games involving the Muscovites, something different from the Streltsy. MGB

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Phil, they are Hinchcliffe castings, and they are worth spending some time on, with a colourful banner.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. En masse, the unit looks terrific although the lighting is a little dark to bring up the details. As Phil says, the banner is outstanding and identifies the unit immediately as Russian. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, will remember to allow the energy-saving bulbs to gain full illumination next time. I actually painted the banner some time back but attached it to a mounted unit, I think it looks much better with this one.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. I think these boyars may have been sculpted by Chris Gilder. After the great Peter Gilder died he attempted to take over the mantle. To be honest I didnt like them at the time but now well they look great. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robbie, that is really interesting, and explains the clear distinction between the high and low code numbers in the Hinchcliffe renaissance range. What I like about the high codes is their compatibility with the excellent TAG castings. But as you know, I still collect some PG castings, mainly streltsy because I enjoy owning some classic collections. And you know my views concerning Hezzlewood castings............. my favourites.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. Very nice! They have such a sense of motion- and the paint job looks good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John. I'm looking forward to a Muscovite field day. Yes, the castings are very nice, might place this unit against some TAG Azabs.
      Michael

      Delete
  5. Lovely Wallachians, really very nice sculpts and splendidly painted, great banner too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate the morale boost. Thank you Iain. I will certainly be painting up some more banners for this army as I often like to issue several banners to medieval/renaissance units.
      Michael

      Delete