Wargame Rules

BLOG BACKGROUND AND WARGAME RULES
I have set up this blog for my wargaming interests in the Muscovite-Tartar Wars, Reconquista Wars, the Barbary Coast Pirates, and the early campaigns of the Ottoman Turks and Saracens. Some lesser known crusades will also be covered. Miniatures are mainly 28mm with a growing collection in 54mm. If my photographs serve to encourage others to complete their collections I shall be pleased. I will also be mentioning other sites with interesting collections on the above. Do join the 'Friends' if you like what you see.

I prefer to use my own rules which are kept simple and involve eight-sided dice. These allow for fast results with various types of weaponry. Morale dominates my games.


Thursday 20 December 2018

Those Cuman Warriors become Boyar Cavalry

As a follow on to the last post, I have now painted up those Cuman tribal warriors that formed a large part of the successful Ebay bid. With appropriate shields and a new green banner, they now form a sixteen figure strong unit of Lesser Boyars, or possibly Druzhina. For war-game purposes, I will classify this unit as less armoured when compared to the higher class Boyars (nobles). I include a photo of the latter as they too have gained a new orange coloured banner. The Cumans are Essex Miniatures, and I'm pleased with the castings, they mix perfectly with my Hinchcliffe Muscovites. MGB (ps. its a bit difficult to take photos presently as the table is covered in an on-going AWI war-game with a member of my family.)

10 comments:

  1. These horsemen are terrific! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan, that successful Ebay bid has proved worthwhile, and like the previous post on the Pecheneg warriors, these too can be serviceable to top up several armies.
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Beautiful cavalry, love the horse archers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I'm pleased to see them off the work bench, and that they have fitted in so well with the rest of the Muscovite army.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Very nice job with the Cumans, they really look the part. The flag for the Boyars is really eye-catching.

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David, in the new year I will upload some pictures which encouraged me to diversify the castings that could serve as Muscovites. The flag is also based on a surviving item in a museum.
      Michael

      Delete
  4. These are lovely. The Cumans must be later Hinchliffe after the sad demise of Pete Gilder. I didnt a lot of the 'new' figures but these are perfect for the Cumans. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Robbie, the Cumans are actually Essex, but their Ancient/Medieval/Renaissance ranges often fit on Hinchcliffe horses, so I mix them up. The horse archer also looks like some of the later Hinchcliffe too.
      Michael

      Delete
  5. Really nice finish on these very useful mounted bowmen types!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain, I've got a long running 18th century game on the table but I'm longing to use the newly painted Muscovites. I have quite enjoyed raising this collection.
      Michael

      Delete