Wargame Rules

BLOG BACKGROUND AND WARGAME RULES
I have set up this blog for my wargaming interests in the Muscovite-Tartar Wars, Reconquista Wars, the Barbary Coast Pirates, and the early campaigns of the Ottoman Turks and Saracens. Some lesser known crusades will also be covered. Miniatures are mainly 28mm with a growing collection in 54mm. If my photographs serve to encourage others to complete their collections I shall be pleased. I will also be mentioning other sites with interesting collections on the above. Do join the 'Friends' if you like what you see.

I prefer to use my own rules which are kept simple and involve eight-sided dice. These allow for fast results with various types of weaponry. Morale dominates my games.


Sunday 24 September 2017

Spanish Windmill 14th to 18th century

Finally decided to build a generic windmill, suitable for use in several periods. This is based on the type that appeared in Spain in the 14th century but continued as a popular style for many centuries more. The basic wood cylinder was originally part of a sugar container picked up in a charity shop for £1. My plan included, however, the incorporation of a Swiss music box that was previously part of my late mother's jewellery box, which also included a spinning ballerina. The tune being a fairly well known Spanish melody. With no intention of keeping the jewellery box, I could see a fun potential if I could include it in my windmill model; music and moving sails no less. Pleased to report, it works, and I can't help smiling each time I wind the key inside the cylinder. (Some of my 15th century Spanish are here making an appearance, presently in the process of converting my Italian Wars armies into Spanish and Portuguese.) MGB

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful and creative job, this Spanish Windmill is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil, I'm pleased with the outcome too. Its nice to clear some odd bits etc and turn them into something of use or value. Cheers,
      Michael

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan, I blame a 1970s kids tv show, Camberwick Green lol.
      Michael

      Delete
  3. Lovely windmill and what a bonus it can carry a tune, your Italian wars figures look great too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Iain, the windmill is a bit of a table novelty. I still have some work to do changing Milanese flags and banners over to the Iberian kingdoms but when they are up to strength I can use them all in the Reconquista, and also against the Ottomans. Cheers,
      Michael

      Delete